How do I set up email?
Here are the correct email settings for any client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac, iPad, etc.):
Username: email@example.com (YOUR FULL EMAIL ADDRESS)
Password: your email password
Port 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP3)
Outgoing (SMTP) server:
SMTP (outgoing server) Authentication Required
Secure Authentication (or SPA) needs to be turned off
- Don't panic. You are never without working email - Webmail is available to use at all times, so use it while you work on getting your device or mail client set up properly.
- Be 100% sure you're using the correct password.
- Use IMAP unless you have a specific reason for using POP3.
- Always use your full email address as the 'user'. Sometimes a mail client or device will automatically fill in just your first name in the user field. Be sure to correct that where you find it, and use your full email address instead.
- If you're changing email settings on an existing email account and getting errors, try removing and re-creating the account completely.
- Remember that setting up mail is an all or nothing game. Your account will not work properly until all of the correct settings are in place. Be patient.
- With so many email clients (and different versions), devices, and internet service providers in the mix, email setup can be tricky. Use Google to search the specific error messages you're seeing - you'll often find a simple solution by doing a little poking around online.